I had the good fortune of going to New York this last weekend. It was wonderful. The weather was great. The shops were beautiful. And, the food was amazing! I have limited self control when it comes to amazing food, so I will be doing a cleanse over the next week or so. It is time for a body systems spring clean. However, before I get to excavating my bad eating habits, I had to do something with the bananas on the counter when I got home. I love banana bread and this recipe is delicious. I love incorporating the coconut oil for added health benefits and a rich velvety flavor.
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour, or spelt flour (or whatever flour you want)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup mashed ripe bananas (2-3 bananas)
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs, sugar, bananas, and oil in a large bowl until quite smooth. Add dry ingredients to banana mixture and stir just until combined. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake until a tester inserted into the center of bread comes out clean, 60-70 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; let bread cool in pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around inside of pan to release the bread. Turn out onto rack and let cool completely. Store airtight at room temperature for up to 4 days.