I have been on a waffle kick lately – and thanks to the fabulous Ms. Stacey, it seems I have been making a big batch of these every other week. This recipes make about 8 very large waffles. We freeze the extras to enjoy the rest of the week (they would potentially last a month or 2). I freeze them individually until frozen and then stack them together in a large freezer bag. Breakfast is a breeze after that. I cut grab a couple of squares and toss them in the toaster- eggos move over!
healthy whole grain waffles
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 eggs- yolks and white separated
- 4 cups whole wheat flour (best if fresh ground)
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- In a stand mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff.
- Meanwhile, mix together the yolks, buttermilk, sugar, applesauce, and oil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining dry ingredients. Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Grease hot waffle iron and ladle 1 cup of batter, cook until golden.
- Enjoy with real grade B maple syrup and your favorite berries.