As promised on Tuesday, I played with the granola recipe until it obediently stayed into bars. The addition of coconut oil and a bit more peanut butter keep these bars together quite well and adds a nice comfort factor. I truly love these. I think they rock. I keep them individually wrapped in the snack draw of the refrigerator so I can easy stick them in a pack lunch or in my purse for a yummy hearty snack/treat.
peanut butter rice crispy treats
- 1 1/4 cups plain rice krispies or brown rice krispies
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oat
- 3 Tbls ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup semi sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon coconut crystals OR brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all natural peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the honey, coconut oil, and peanut butter in a small pan over medium heat, stirring until melted and well-blended. Stir in vanilla.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pour honey peanut butter mixture over cereal and stir until combined.
- Line a 8 x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper (I cut the paper to 8 inches wide, but leave it as long as possible so there are “tabs”).
- Press mixture firmly into an 8-inch square pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator at least 40 minutes before cutting into bars. I like to wrap them individually. Store in refrigerator.