This is a great make ahead breakfast. Think of it as your re-vamped cold cereal, except without the processed, pre-packaged part. This the perfect thing for those morning when you have to grab something quick as you hurry off for an early flight, class, or meeting. Make it in an old pickle jar and grab a disposable spoon and you’re done. This can be made to fit your tastes so have fun playing with different toppings. My favorite right now is a pinch of salt, drizzled with maple syrup and berries and sometimes a pinch of cinnamon, too.
- 2/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats or any other rolled whole grain (sometimes I use steel cut oats and just let them soak a bit longer) If you use raw oat groats or raw steel cut oats, this would be a raw oatmeal.
- 1 cup milk of your choice (I like almond milk) or water
- a dash of freshly squeezed lemon juice (½ tsp.)
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds (these are optional, but they are a nutrient powerhouse and absorb lots of liquid and make a fun crunch.
1. Fold all ingredients together in a jar or bowl, place in the fridge overnight.
2. In the morning, remove oatmeal from the fridge and let come to room temperature for a couple minutes, if desired. Top as you please: layer in more milk, yogurt, fresh fruit, nuts, syrup, honey… you get the idea. Enjoy.