This recipe is dedicated to Paul and Emily, wonderful friends that came over and enjoyed this meal with us. Thanks for liking it and thanks for being persistent that I share it with all of you.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlics, minced
- 8 oz white or baby bella mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons herbes de Provence or Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 oz mozzarella, grated
- 1 lb container organic cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup diced fresh parsley leaves
- 9 oz box of whole wheat no-bake lasagna noodles
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced, if desired
- small ball or knob of fresh mozzarella, if desired
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add the olive oil. Add the very well chopped mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Allow to cool down for about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add herbes de provence, canned tomatoes (with juices), and tomato paste. Stir. Allow the mixture to come to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. About half way through, I like to bust up any big tomato chunks with a potato masher, it gives the sauce a nice consistency.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grate 8 oz mozzarella cheese into a mixing bowl. Add cottage cheese and chopped parsley. Mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a 9x13x2 baking dish assemble lasagna starting with a spoonful of mushroom layer over the bottom. Then spread out a single layer of lasagna noodles. Top with mushroom sauce and then cheese layer. Continue to layer, ending with mushroom layer on top. If desired, lay out tomato slices and fresh mozzarella slices over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Allow to cool about 10 minutes before serving.