I love pumpkins baked goods. Although they remind me of fall, they are still comforting to me anytime of year. These are not vegan or gluten-free, but they are healthier than any store-bought version you are likely to find; and they are delicious. A great trick with muffins is to freeze them individually and then stick them in pack lunches to keep the other items cool as they thaw.
whole grain spiced pumpkin muffins
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 prunes
- 1 tablespoons unsulphered molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 cup whole-grain pastry flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In the food processor with the blade attachment, combine the apple sauce, honey, prunes, and molasses. Pulse until combined and the prunes are finely chopped.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and add the mixture from the food processor. Add the vanilla, canned pumpkin, and buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Divide the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of 1 of the muffins comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the muffins to loosen them and unmold. Cool completely on the rack.
I had a great time shopping and mingling at Apricot Lane Boutique last week. They have a cute store with fun affordable women’s clothes and accessories. To follow them on FB, click here. AND they provided me with a fun giveaway for all of you: $20 to spend at Apricot Lane (it’s in Provo, UT) and a Good Works Make a Difference Bracelet ($44 value).
These bracelets are quite popular in Hollywood right now, but I think they are great because of the message and the good they are trying to do.
To enter to win, leave a comment below by midnight on Monday, May 7th. Good luck!Pin It